- crime and regulatory defence
- 0161 234 2423
James joined Hempsons in May 2021, as a partner in our crime and regulatory defence team in Manchester.
James qualified as a barrister in London in 1997 before cross-qualifying to solicitor in 2003, at the point of commencing his career in medical law and regulation.
After an initial four years on the regulatory side as one of the original legal advisors in the GMC’s legal team, founded in the wake of the Shipman Inquiry, in 2007 James migrated to his natural environment of defending professionals, in particular members of the medical and healthcare professions. James views the opportunity to defend and protect the interests of those who dedicate themselves to the care of others as a unique privilege.
James has a reputation as a highly effective defence advocate in all key areas of professional defence, in particular: GMC and MPTS procedures, including representing practitioners before hearings of the interim orders and medical practitioners tribunals; hospital trust MHPS disciplinary and capability procedures; police and criminal investigations; inquests; NHS performers lists; injunctions and judicial review.
Main areas of expertise
- GMC and MPTS procedures, including representing practitioners before hearings of the interim orders and medical practitioners tribunals
- Hospital Trust MHPS Capability and Disciplinary Procedures
- Police and Criminal Investigations
- NHS Performers Lists Procedures and First Tier Tribunals
- Appeals, Injunctions and Judicial Review
The clients James works with
- Medical practitioners and members of the healthcare professions
- NHS Hospital Trusts, in inquest proceedings
- Regulated professionals
- LLB (Honours) (1995)
- Barrister (1997)
- Solicitor (2003)
- Solicitors Regulatory Authority (“SRA”)
“Always acts in clients' best interests.”