Commitment to achieving Net Zero
We are committed to meeting our compliance, legal and regulatory obligations to protect the environment directly through our own initiatives and services and indirectly using our influence to affect the practices of others.
Our commitment is to achieve Net Zero emissions by 2040.
Hempsons Baseline Emissions Footprint
|Baseline* Year: 2016|
|Additional Details relating to the Baseline Emissions calculations|
|Hempsons last reporting period dates to 2016 as prepared by the Legal Sustainability Alliance. This report was based upon the number of employees being 291 and covering a floor area of 4,470 Sq M.
Gross tCO2e per employee was 1.75 and 0.114 per floor area.
|Hempsons Baseline year emissions|
|Scope 3 (Included Sources)||132.525|
*Baseline emissions are a record of the greenhouse gases that have been produced in the past and were produced prior to the introduction of any strategies to reduce emissions. Baseline emissions are the reference point against which emissions reduction can be measured.
**As defined by the Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHGP).
Current Emissions Reporting
Hempsons independent report to calculate our current carbon emissions will be published during 2021.
In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction commitments.
We project that carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to 255 tCO2e by 2026.***
This is a reduction of 50%.
Progress against these targets can be seen in the graph below:
***To be reviewed and confirmed upon receipt of independent report.
Hempsons Carbon Reduction Projects
Building on Hempsons commitment to achieve Net Zero the following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the 2016 baseline:
- Hempsons Environmental Management System is in place across all five offices;
- commitment to obtain an international environmental accreditation standard (ISO14001);
- 100% usage across all five offices of recycled paper; and
- paper consumption (measured by reams) reduction across all five offices supporting our paper-lite operations.
Introduction of software to monitor and measure the environmental impact of our printers including:
- trees consumed by our printing;
- CO2 produced (kg); and
- equivalent bulb hours.
Waste and recycling initiatives as a result of downsizing of office spaces to include:
- metal recycling;
- wood recycling;
- donation of wood and glass to local causes (e.g. local gardeners / farmers); and
- equipment recycling (e.g. desks, cabinets and chairs).
Confidential Waste monitored with reference to:
- trees saved;
- landfill saved (M3);
- kilowatt hours saved;
- CO2 saved (Kg); and
- water saved (litres).
In the future we aim to implement further measures such as:
- ISO14001 (Environmental Management System) accreditation;
- work closely with and influence our supply chain as part of our carbon reduction commitment;
- engage and encourage our staff to participate in initiatives across the business and in their home life; and
- raise awareness and actively promote our commitment to environmental aspects which we directly control and can influence.
Managing Partner, Hempsons
26 July 2021