- Healthcare Litigation, Clinical Negligence
- 01423 724038
What Laura can do for you
Laura joined Hempsons in 2014 from a claimant background. She is an Associate in the healthcare litigation team specialising in clinical negligence claims made against the NHS.
Laura has a varied caseload, including obstetric, spinal, amputation and mental health claims, and matters relating to consent and the standard of surgery. She sits on the firm’s Quality Committee and has had a number of successful outcomes at trial.
Main areas of expertise
- Clinical negligence
- Committal proceedings – including representing the Trust and securing an immediate 6-month custodial sentence in Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust v Metcalf (2021)
The clients she works with
- NHS Resolution
- NHS bodies
- Legal Practice Course
- Masters in Law (specialising in healthcare)
- Law LLB
- “Kore v Brocklebank – pre-action Part 36 offers in fatal accident claims”
- “Factual witnesses and expert advisors – lessons learnt from recent trial wins” – Medico Legal Magazine
The case of Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust v Linda Metcalf highlights the very serious consequences of dishonest and exaggerated claims against the NHS.
Linda Metcalf has received an immediate 6-month custodial sentence for her deliberate attempt to defraud the NHS and deceive the Court. She has also been ordered to pay the Trust’s costs of the proceedings. Sentence was passed by Mr Justice Griffiths in the Leeds District Registry on 11.02.21.
This case highlights the importance of raising enquiries regarding the identity of potential dependants at an early stage and carefully wording offers in pre-action fatal claims, as there are potential pitfalls on both sides.