- Regulatory, Healthcare Litigation
- 020 7484 7515
What Chris can do for you
Chris first qualified as a dental surgeon, and practised dentistry in the UK and overseas for ten years before training as a solicitor. Chris became a partner at Hempsons in 1996 specialising in all aspects of dental and regulatory law and heads Hempsons’ National Dental Team and the firm’s Regulatory and Crime Team.
Chris has long been recognised as a leader and Band 1 practitioner in the field of Professional Discipline by the Legal 500 and Chambers directories.
Chris has been President of the Dental Law & Ethics Forum since 2001, and was an elected member of the ARDL committee from 2015-2018.
Main areas of practice include defending healthcare practitioners at the GDC, GMC, GOC and HPC; Defendant clinical negligence litigation for dentists, doctors and other healthcare professionals; NHS regulatory work (e.g. Performers List hearings and FHSAA appeals; Specialist List applications and appeal; Acting in disputes between practitioners; and all types of GDC and GMC registration matters.
Main areas of expertise
- Defendant clinical negligence litigation for dentists, doctors and other healthcare professionals
- NHS regulatory work (e.g. Performers List hearings and FHSAA appeals)
- Defending healthcare practitioners before the GDC, GMC, GOC and HPC
- Specialist List appeals
- Acting in disputes between dentists
- GDC and GMC registration issues
The clients he works with
- Defence organisations
- Professional bodies
- Individual healthcare practitioners (medical, dental, dietitians, opticians and others)
- Dental Law & Ethics Forum
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- British Dental Association
Examples of external publications
- Commentary on facing the judge and jury (Dental Tribune)
- Performers list declarations (Dentistry)
- Dentists and jury service (Dentistry)
- Business disputes between practitioners (Dentistry)
- Applications to join a performers list (Dentistry)
- DP v General Dental Council  EWHC 3181 (Admin)
- British Dental Association -v- General Dental Council  EWHC 4311 (Admin)
- General Dental Council -v- Savery  EWHC 3011 (Admin);  Med. L.R. 204;  A.C.D. 11; Official Transcript
- Mohammed Qusim Shiekh -v- General Dental Council  EWHC 186 (Admin)
- R (on the application of Shiekh) -v- General Dental Council  EWHC 2972 (Admin)
As an alternative to our contact form you can .
2020 will be a particularly exciting year for everyone at Hempsons and Eastwoods, as the two firms merge to create a powerful new force in regulatory, disciplinary and healthcare law.
This article summarises the law on foreseeability and causation in clinical negligence cases. It focuses on what a claimant needs to prove and the development of the law in these areas.
This is the first in a two-part series about clinical negligence, in which we will look at the essential components of a claim. In a nutshell, in order for a successful clinical negligence claim to be made, the claimant must show that the defendant healthcare practitioner/provider:
Hempsons publishes Fitness to Practise guide for dentists following changes to the GDC’s procedures on 1 November
Hempsons, the largest specialist health and social care legal practice in the UK, has published a guide to the General Dental Council’s (GDC) fitness to practise procedures, including an explanation of the changes which came into force on 1 November 2016.
“Former dentist Chris Morris is ‘very effective and cares passionately about what he’s doing'.”
“Chris Morris has ‘encyclopaedic knowledge’ of dental regulatory matters and is ‘very well connected and demonstrated enormous empathy and pragmatism – a really good collaborative lawyer and guiding hand.”
“Chris Morris' attention to detail and risk management is unsurpassed - he has real insight into our practice area. ”
“Chris Morris is the firm's senior partner and is well known for his expertise in defending medical professionals, particularly dentists, before their regulators. He is praised for his “pragmatic and solutions-focused” approach.”
“The ‘well-seasoned, calm and pragmatic’ Chris Morris heads the practice'.”
“Wise, experienced, good tactician”
“A top-quality lawyer who has vast experience, excellent strategic acumen and an impressive grasp of the detailed legal aspects of this field.”