- Commercial; Charities & Social Enterprise; Practitioners
- 020 7484 7530
Leading charity lawyers with deep experience in NHS charitable funds and other related charities
We have a highly experienced charities and social enterprise team advising NHS charitable funds and other related charities on a wide range of legal issues, in particular constitutional and governance queries and also legacies. We are rated as leading charity lawyers in the legal directories Legal 500 and Chambers.
Our long-standing reputation for advising in the field of healthcare together with our third sector expertise enables us to provide advice in context on a wide range of issues. We act for a number of NHS charities across the country as well as many non-NHS health and social care charities. We have a dedicated national team operating across the firm’s offices and the third sector is a core part of our business. We look after our clients with a comprehensive and can-do service line approach. This is supported by a dedicated third sector seminar programme plus regular newsletters and updates on changes in the law.
“This muliti-disciplinary charities practice, led by the ‘approachable and proactive’, Ian Hempseed. Advises charities on issues such as governance, reorganisations and fund-raising. Due to the firm’s expertise in the medical sector, healthcare charities, including The British Home and Deafness Research UK, feature heavily in its client list. The group recently advised the latter on its merger with Action for Tinnitus Research. Clients describe Hempseed as an ‘excellent sounding board’, ‘He doesn’t just act on instructions – he offers his own opinion’.” – Chambers UK 2009
Key services and issues
- Charity law and regulation
- Charities and trading
- Collaborations and joint ventures
- Governance and constitutional reviews
- Social enterprises
- Start-ups for charities and CICs (Community Interest Companies)
- Trustee training
Our work with NHS charitable funds and legacies
- We regularly advise NHS Trusts on a range of issues relating to their charitable funds including who can be appointed to the Charitable Funds Committee, the role of the Trust as corporate trustee, responsibilities in relation to managing charitable funds independently of Exchequer funds and associated constitutional and accounting issues.
- We advised a large NHS charity in relation to setting up a wholly-owned trading company and its inter-relationship with the charity. We also advised on a fundraising agreement between the charity, the trading company and a commercial company.
- We have advised a number of NHS charities in relation to bequests to former hospitals and with regard to whether or not a bequest has been given for general or specific purposes.
Case studiesView all
We advised Dorset County Hospital NHS FT (DCH) on its successful procurement process to select a partner to form a Strategic Estates Partnership (SEP). We have advised through all stages of the process from initial project planning through to financial close and beyond.View Case study
We are delighted to announce another outstanding year for Hempsons in The Legal 500. Our team has been praised for its exceptional reputation and high quality of work over the past year.