- Mental Health, Healthcare Litigation, Healthcare Advisory
- 01423 724014
What Adam can do for you
Adam is a Partner, based in Harrogate but head of the advisory teams in the firm’s northern offices.
Adam is frequently in the Coroner’s Court representing health and social care clients interests at Inquests, investigating the deaths of patients or service users.
Adam has a particular interest in issues relating to mental health, capacity and consent and has represented clients in the Court of Protection and the High Court both in relation to medical treatment and welfare issues, concerning adults and children.
Adam has represented healthcare bodies in Judicial Review proceedings, largely around issues relating to the provision of facilities and services. He usually acts for Commissioners where decisions they have made are being challenged.
Adam also represents both regulators and providers in the social care sector, in particular in relation to enforcement action by CQC.
Adam also defends civil proceedings, most commonly in clinical negligence in cases usually involving a mental health component or where the alleged negligence has resulted in the death of an individual.
Adam regularly provides training on his areas of expertise to clients and others.
Main areas of expertise
- General health and social care advisory
- Inquests and coronial law
- Mental health and mental capacity law
- Court of Protection / High Court – medical treatment and welfare applications
- Social care regulatory
- Judicial Review
- Clinical negligence
The clients he works with
- Health care bodies – NHS and private
- Social care providers
- Medical Defence organisations
- Commissioning bodies
- Private clients
- Third sector clients
- Insurers and Indemnifiers
- An NHS Trust v A and Others (2015) EWHC 2828 – successful representation of an NHS FT in proceedings in the Family Division of the High Court concerning withdrawal of treatment to twin babies: court granted the Orders in the terms sought.
- Jamadar v Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (2016) EWCA Civ 1001 – Appeal Court decision upholding Defendant’s approach to cost budgeting and limiting Claimant cost recovery to Court fees.
- An NHS Trust v M and K (2013) EWHC 2402 – successfully representing an NHS Trust obtaining declarations sought concerning that it was in the best interests of M not to receive CPR or be admitted to ICU in the event of serious deterioration.
- An NHS Trust v L and Others (2012) EWHC 2741 – successfully represented NHS Trust obtaining declaration it was lawful only to provide treatment to which L, affected by severe anorexia, was able to cooperate with.
- Acted for CCG in JR challenge concerning closure of mental health hospital in York – CCG status became one of interested party as opposed Defendant following submission of response to JR claim.
- Harrogate & District Law Society – Committee member (President 2015)
- Leeds and West Riding Medico Legal Society
Recent external publications
“Their inquest work is highly regarded and much appreciated by clinicians and in-house legal teams alike. Adam Hartrick is especially solid when giving advice and in providing support to clinicians.” NHS Trust Client
“Adrian Parker leads the team, which includes the ‘extremely hardworking’ Adam Hartrick.” (Legal 500 2016)
“The practice is led by Adrian Parker and includes the ‘extremely knowledgeable and sensitive’ Adam Hartrick, who specialises in inquest law.” (Legal 500 2015)
Please join us for our free seminar in Harrogate or Newcastle looking at recent developments in and the likely future impact of deprivation of liberty and mental health law – taking place in our Harrogate, Manchester and Newcastle offices. London date added!View Event
Hempsons, leading health and social care lawyers, are running two FREE seminars in May 2019 for social care providers. The seminars will give updates on a range of legal and practical issues that will be of interest to all those involved in the management and running of social care provision, with updates on the new Liberty Protection Safeguards, employment law and CQC inspections and a session on how to deal with the CQC led by Clare Flynn of Brightening Minds.View Event
Welcome to the latest edition of our Social Care Newsbrief.
Hempsons wins best Best Professional Services, legal, financial, planning property management, compliance at the Care Home Awards 2017
Welcome to the latest edition of Hempsons’ Social Care newsbrief, a round-up of some of the hot legal topics in the social care sector.
Welcome to the Spring edition of the Hempsons’ Social Care Newsbrief, a round-up of some of the hot legal topics in the social care sector.
Integral to our commitment to the health and social care sector is the provision of free high quality education and training on legal topics for the sector. It was in that vein that we welcomed more than 100 people – mainly social care providers – to our Spring social care seminars held in Harrogate and Manchester.