Furlough Guidance Updated
Late on Thursday 9 April 2020, the government released the third version of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme guidance. Here are Martin Cheyne’s first impressions of the update:
- There are some major changes in this update, one of the biggest is the removal of redundancy as a criteria for shielded employees to be eligible for furlough.
- It is now possible to switch between furlough and SSP (but why would the employee report sick and get the lower SSP?).
- The guidance now accommodates work visas.
- Although employees can be furloughed and work for another employer, the employers cannot be linked or associated.
- The guidance now confirms, importantly, that furlough does apply to staff TUPE transferred after 28 February 2020.
- There is still no express clarification to the annual leave conundrum: whether employees can be required to take leave when furloughed.
Please contact our team below if you have any questions regarding this or any other issue and keep abreast of all the latest Coronavirus law changes at our COVID-19 portal.