NHS care is commissioned by a range of NHS bodies. Clinical Commissioning Groups, led by GPs and other clinicians, are responsible for commissioning a wide range of healthcare services, supported by a network of Commissioning Support Units.
In addition, NHS England manages the performance of those CCGs through its Area Teams as well as commissioning a range of healthcare services itself, such as primary care services (which in some cases are co-commissioned with CCGs), specialist healthcare services and prison healthcare.
As a law firm with dedicated NHS expertise, Hempsons advises commissioners on a range of issues including:
- Governance issues including:
- Integrated commissioning with local authorities and other CCGs
- Participation in Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships
- Development of Accountable Care Systems / Organisations
- Service reconfiguration including support to the running of robust and defensible public consultations
- Procurement law compliance
- Continuing healthcare and funding issues
- HR related matters
Examples of our work include:
- Advising on the first merger of CCGs nationally that created Newcastle Gateshead Alliance CCG
- Advising the twelve Greater Manchester CCGs on Manchester Devolution and on the Healthier Together acute service reconfiguration
- Tameside and Glossop CCG on integrated commissioning arrangements. They commented: “Hempsons have helped develop the CCG and the Council plans for commissioning a radically new service model for Tameside Hospital following the report of the Monitor’s Contingency Planning Team. They have provided innovative and pragmatic advice at different stages to enable the project to move forward. They have been accessible and approachable at all times.”
- Commissioning Support Units perform a key role ensuring that CCGs have access to resource and expertise in commissioning, patient engagement, IT support, finance, governance, procurement and contract management.
Why choose Hempsons?
They understand the NHS and go the extra mile for their clients.
Chambers UK 2017
Hempsons is one of the leading healthcare specialists nationally with a knowledge of the healthcare regulatory regime that is second to none.
Legal 500 2016
As a firm, they are excellent, providing superb service with a first-rate turnaround. They were always available and nothing was too much trouble. I was very impressed.
Chambers UK 2017