- Corporate, Commercial
- 020 7484 7525
What Christian can do for you
Christian is a partner in the corporate commercial department, recognised nationally as the top legal expert for NHS transactions. He advises a wide range of clients in the health and social care sectors on corporate, commercial and public law matters including:
- Commercial contracts
- Public law
- NHS governance
- Corporate governance
- Dispute resolution
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Setting up new businesses
- Joint ventures, collaborations and partnering arrangements
- Outsourcing projects and other transactions.
Examples of recent work include advising on:
- NHS sustainability and transformation: the development of new care models including integrated care organisations and accountable care organisations / systems, including advising on a number of NHS England’s vanguard project
- Mergers and acquisitions: numerous recent mergers and acquisitions including Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust’s acquisition of West Middlesex University Hospitals NHS Trust and the merger of South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and Torbay and Southern Devon Health and Care NHS Trust to create an Integrated Care Organisation (ICO)
- Hospital chains – advising Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust on innovative hospital chains
- Manchester devolution – advising the 12 Greater Manchester CCGs on the governance, regulatory and accountability structure for the exercise of joined up health and local authority functions for integrated health and social care services. We are working closely with the in-house legal teams at Manchester CC (for the LAs and GMCA) and NHS England on this highly specialised and complex project
- Service reconfiguration – advising NHS bodies on compliance with public involvement and consultation duties and governance arrangements on establishment, dissolution and reconfiguration, including advising 12 CCGs in Greater Manchester on the Healthier Together proposals for service reconfiguration and, prior to that, advising on the Making it Better, Healthy Futures and A New Deal reconfiguration proposals in Greater Manchester; also, advising on the re-commissioning of mental health services across the Bristol health economy
- Governance – functions, duties and powers of statutory bodies
- NHS Standard Contract – providing input on DH/ NHS England panels for development of the NHS Standard Contract and advising commissioners and providers on contracting issues
- Market regulation – advice on compliance with the requirements of the Competition and Markets Authority and Monitor in the context of procurement and competition matters, including advice to Foundation Trusts and Trusts on Monitor investigations.
The clients he works with
- NHS foundation trusts, NHS trusts, clinical commissioning groups, commissioning support units and NHS regulators
- Charities and Social enterprises
- Independent sector health and social care providers
- Local authorities.
- The Law Society
Whilst politicians fight over the bloody remains of the June 2017 election there is likely to remain a broad political consensus that health and social care integration is desirable. NHS and local authority leaders will continue to try to implement sustainability and transformation plans (STPs) and develop accountable care systems (ACSs).
Hempsons has received more high-profile acclaim for our work on accountable care and system transformation – this time from the Health Service Journal with its first ever HSJ Healthcare Partnership Awards.
On 1 October 2017 Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (CMFT) and University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust (UHSM) merged to form the largest NHS foundation trust in the country: Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MFT).
The merger, which has widespread support from local and national stakeholders, will allow MFT to deliver improvements to patient care for Manchester and was unanimously approved by...
Hempsons is pleased to bring you the latest in its series of news updates on new care models, STPs and integration.
The Cabinet Office has published new guidance about maintaining the impartiality of the civil service and public bodies in the period leading up to the 2017 election – often known as purdah.
In a landmark decision the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has approved the merger of Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS FT and University Hospital of South Manchester NHS FT.
Newsflash: NHS England and NHS Improvement publish long awaited Integrated Support and Assurance Process Guidance
NHS England (NHSE) and NHS Improvement (NHSI) published an introduction to the Integrated Support and Assurance Process (ISAP) in November 2016. This somewhat sparse guidance gave an initial outline to the process and what could be expected but left emerging accountable care systems guessing as to the detail of the process.
Following a period of public consultation on the draft MCP contract framework, NHS England has published the first version of a model contract for accountable care organisations (ACOs) for use by both Multi-Speciality Community Provider (MCPs) and Primary and Acute Care System (PACS) led models in the NHS.
NHS Improvement (NHSI) has published Transactions guidance - for trusts undertaking transactions, inlcuding mergers and acquisitions which replaces Monitor’s previous guidance supporting NHS providers: guidance on transactions for NHS foundation trusts (updated March 2015) and the NHS Trust Development Authority’s transactions guidance in delivering for patients: the 2015/16 Accountability Framework for NHS trust boards (June 2015).
“Christian Dingwall is very thorough and measured in his advice and clearly explains the implications of actions and decisions. ”